Hey SSB Fam!
Let’s face it, it takes WORK to come up with a skincare routine! As amazing as skincare is, it’s intimidating viewing the numerous amount of products out there. Being a beauty enthusiast, I know some individuals are product junkies, so those are the few that constantly try product after product without giving anything a chance. There are also the group that is intimidated by all the products, so they don’t try anything. Lastly, there are the few that are consistent with products but not seeing the results due to the lack of research. I hope this post helps you regardless of the category you fall in!
Research….& know thy skin
I know, there is some work to this fam! I believe being observant of your skin helps you know what type of skin you have. Having product knowledge based on research and going in knowing what skin you have will save you A TON of money sis! A TON! As “young as I am” (27 lol), my skin is forever changing. My skin used to be extremely oily, however now I noticed that I have combination skin. Knowing this helped me to cancel out certain products that weren’t for me. Take a look at the below research that I’ve done to help me understand what I should be looking for.
- Normal Skin- Well-balanced skin. Neither to too oily nor too dry
- Dry Skin- Skin doesn’t retain moisture and lacks sebum
- Oily Skin- Skin has heightened sebum which caused glossy skin and visible pores
- Combination- Skin type varies between the T-zone and the cheeks
It’s also super important to look up ingredients that will benefit you. I know that I wanted hydrated, clear and smooth skin. I looked up ingredients that would be beneficial.
Best Moisturizing Ingredients
- Hyaluronic Acid- Hyaluronic Acid is a humectant which means it pulls hydration from the environment. It helps to retain the moisture in your skin before it escapes.
- Glycerin- This is another humectant. It retains moisture in your skin and doesn’t moisture just the surface, but also the deeper layer in order to pump up moisture and nourish.
Best Ingredients For Clear & Smooth Skin
- Retinol- clears up skin blemishes and helps prevent future skin damage by keeping dead skin cells from clogging up pores.
- Vitamin C- Vitamin C boosts your skin’s collagen production to give you firmer, more plump skin and smooth out fine lines and wrinkles.
- Green Tea- Green tea is full of Vitamin B2 and Vitamin E, both essential for skin health maintenance. B2 plays an essential role in maintaining collagen levels for youthful skin structure and firmness. Green Tea is also great for depuffing and brightening the skin.
Like I said, this part can be quite costly and frustrating without the research…and patience 🙂! I love trying new products, but I make sure to try the right ones. There are ton of skincare companies that sell skincare sets. I think that this makes it more affordable and gives you a chance to test products because those Sephora samples are not enough sis! You have to give products at least 3 weeks (sometimes up to 6 weeks) to see results!
This is the fun part because you can actually start to be observant…but don’t obsess over it. Take pics from time to time on your phone in order to visual see the changes. Be open to changing products based on seasons or new changes you see in your skin!
Before you go, check out the basics- products that should be included in a skincare routine.
In every skincare routine I believe everyone should have (at least) a daily face cleaner and great moisturizers. All the luxuries – eye creams/patches, mask, etc can come later.
When it comes to a daily moisturizer, like mentioned before I knew that I had combination skin. I also wanted a cleanser that wasn’t drying on my skin. I decided on Cetaphil’s Daily Facial Cleanser. This facial cleanser works well with my skin type, is non-irritating and retains the moisture in my skin. I’ve been using this for years y’all!
Next up are moisturizers! Moisturizers are super important (especially if you wear makeup!). Besides having beautifully prepped skin for makeup, it’s important to keep your canvas looking good with no makeup. Still keeping in mind my combination skin and the ingredient that will beneficial to my skin, I knew that the following moisturizers would work. They are my go y’all! I absolutely love these two K beauty products- Innisfree Intensive Hydrating Green Tea Serum and Tony Moly Panda’s Dream Rose Hyaluronic Face Cream. I use both moisturizers daily and they make my skin feel amazing!
I hope that this post inspired you to make your new skin routine for 2019!
Keep fighting daily.